Risk factors for high blood pressure which you can monitor and control
- Overweight: A larger body requires more blood, which puts more pressure on the blood vessels.
- Sedentary lifestyle: Lack of activity causes the heart to work harder to pump blood, increasing blood pressure.
- Tobacco use: Smoking causes the arteries to narrow, increasing blood pressure.
- Excess sodium intake: A diet with too much sodium can lead to fluid retention, increasing blood volume
- Low potassium intake: Potassium balances sodium; without adequate potassium intake, sodium levels increase.
- Excess alcohol use: Too much alcohol over time can damage the heart, making it pump harder to work effectively.
- Stress:High levels of stress increase heart rate, which causes blood to be pumped more rapidly through the body.